
For all those, who fall short of being updated, let me tell you, I am interning with a senior advocate specialized in Indirect Taxation and service matters. I normally go to Delhi High Court with him. Yes, this is how it looks..quite splendid I know..this is the main entry, and there are many more entries to it from other sides...I can't give a 3D effect to it now..not that jobless a lawyer, as Abhinav exclaims! waise wo isko 3D effect zarur de de shayad ;)
anyways...so on my first day, when i entered the premises...I couldn't help but notice...Honda City cars, Mercs, Laura Scodas, Endeavors parked everywhere...and mind it...those are only of the lawyers...(for info sake..high court premises do not allow foreign vehicle to be parked inside...) so I was wondering how filthy rich all these lawyers may be...and I saw all big faces then-Soli Sorabjee, Arun Jaitly, Rani Jethmalani, and many more, of which you people would be least interested in ;)
I felt really nice more so because of the fact, that now the High Court is all centrally air conditioned, the new adjoining block that has introduced some more court rooms has eased the crowd, better canteens and cleaner surroundings..
But what hasn't changed is the attitude of still many advocates...dispassionate for their clients, coming to court to seek adjournments. You for once try to sit in the lobby and you'll find, clients waiting for their lawyers to arrive since their case is already listed. The lawyer comes, the client keeps on following him all the way till the courtroom waiting for a word from him-may be a hello or good morning (or good afternoon and sorry-if its already too late). But the legaleagle is busy on his phone and doesn't bother to look for once at the client..he enters the court room, and comes out in two minutes, and if client seems really persisting, he would say "Why do you come to court, go and take rest. I will inform you whenever you are required here, btw..please deposit my remaining fee in my account"....Off he goes...
What i fail to understand is...a client who is stuck in a legal battle can be least expected to calm down.His life,reputation,wealth is at stake and they are expected to calm down!!!!?????
This attitude has brought lot of bad name to legal fraternity and we ourselves are to be blamed..But yes I do see young lawyers different from this approach. They are professional but passionate, they show that they care...Not that I say lawyers should start getting emotionally involved..but as Munnabhai says..a warm gesture, a little smile (if not jadu ki jhappi) can do wonders..Atleast be polite to the client..god damnit he is giving you your worth!!
I hope someday there is utopia in this field...not all lawyers are like this, its just the bad word spreads faster than the good...
I can try giving it a try but I excel in messing things up!
ReplyDeleteYeah! that can be one of the reasons behind delays in judgments! We hope that when even you will be riding those chauffeur driven sedans, you will listen to your clients!
This makes me feel, you will turn out to be one helluva lawyer who'll be passionate abt his work and sensitive to people.
ReplyDeleteWay to go, yaar. :)
And BTW, I do knw abt all those lawyers you named in the post... they are famous, rey!
Wish you all the best for ur intership..hope it turns out to be a wonderful learning experience for you.
I know only Arun Jaitly ..I like the way he speaks in English and Hindi..the awesome orator he is !
ReplyDeleteand wow till now i used to think that ..court rooms are alwys dingy and brown as they show in hindi movies. Attitude shud change no matter what !
really nice 1..actually ths is wts needed.lil passion wid proffession..if upcumimg lawyers like u help 2 practise ths..mayb ths bad word gt erased soon..but 4 nw,its a distant dream!!
ReplyDeletehey nice post. loved it coz its about us, young lawyers :P
ReplyDeletenever been inside delhi HC :(
didnt know foreign gaddis not allowed che :O
yeah even i wondered why lawyers are so cold n indifferent to their clients...i'v been noticing it during all my internships...strange che. and the clients are over the moon when im introduced to them and they are ':O' that im in a 'rashtriya' university :P
iv never seen even one lawyer being nice to the clients i.e from the younger lot which u mention :|
interesting post aahe :-w
hi chitwan- law court senario sounded more liek gov office, reminds me of police station in movie and blah.
ReplyDeleteso inhuman and so indifferent. hate teh most is when they dnt value of other's time. Esp doctors. they make u wait when not needed and later when u peep in his room to see wht he is upto, u will see him giggling on phone or sipping tea and blah blah.. ass.
I think u will be a good lawyer.
thanks to all..
ReplyDelete@peter, yah hopefully the coming generation of lawyers do the needful
@kashika,i dont want it to be a distant dream... :(
@nidhi..yes this is the tragedy the poor cliens face..bt if ur a big shot, lawyers deal so nicely
@abhinav,chauffeur driven sedans!!:) :) insha-allah
nice dat it is written by a law student n hope u live with those words
ReplyDeletePS: i wud luv to interview ram jethmalani,is rani his daughter?is she equally entertaining??