(..to be contd from part II) Time passed by. They all graduated. Shiraz had joined IAS coaching institute in Delhi, he aspired to be an IAS officer. No wonder he would get through.
Niyati got call letter from London School of Economics for her LL.M. She was more than happy to go there.
Diksha got placed in Zeus & Co.,Sukant was working as judicial clerk to Supreme Court judge, he had to relent to his father's wish.
And Dikshit.......upon persistence from Niyati, he had applied for LL.M., and got call letter from University of Minnesota. Following others' league, he also sat for placements and got recruitment offer from one of the premier law firms, pay package more than Diksha's.Supreme Court Judge had recommended his credentials for further studies during his stint as an intern with him.
His friends were amazed at his achievements.May be little envious, little jealous,nonetheless happy.His parents were in 7th heaven.They organized a big havan at home,invited the neighbourhood for the grand fiesta at home.Recurring phone calls,huge amounts of congratulations flowing in.They had all the reasons to smile.
But Dikshit still wasn't happy. His heart longed for his passion. May be now he has strong grounds to put forth his final wish, may be his parents would agree.Or may be yet again they would think him to be the biggest fool.
"Papa, I don't want to study further"
"Oh, why son? Do you want to work? But we feel that you are just 23, you can study."
"I don't want to work with the firm, I'm placed."
"Then?", perplexed father asked him.
"Can I take up dance as a profession, NOW?"
"Are you a nutcase?You worked so hard for your graduation, to leave all this for dance?????" The emphasis on dance was on derogatory note.
"May be yes, I never considered that a hardwork. I just followed what others in my batch had been doing it.But papa my heart never lay there.You know dance is my passion, my zest for life.If given a chance, I can do a lot better.Now atleast you got to trust me."
"I won't let you mess up your life at this stage Dikshit, act like a sane person."
"So following one's passion is being insane?"
"No, but everything has its time.Your time went by."
"My time never came papa. Neither in school, nor in college.So when was my time actually there?Why is a student not allowed to pursue his interest just because he manages to perform good in academics?Who gets to choose academics is superior to creativity and performers of dance and music are not intelligent? Who infused this notion in us, I would kill that person...."
May be it wasn't easy for him to convince either of his parents.The confusion in him persisted, till the dark clouds sided away to allow the light to clear the midst.
Dikshit had to chose one recourse. And he did. (..concluding part to continue from here)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Chitwan,
ReplyDeleteThis is so real, don't we all go thru this phase at times...
I mean I wanted to be someone, I studied something else and wat I am working on is entirely diff frm wat I wanted...LOL
This is the IRONY of life... but yeah! some people take charge and change it for their dreams... Hope Dikshit is one such guy!
"Who gets to choose academics is superior to creativity and performers of dance and music are not intelligent?"
ReplyDeletei doubt if the age old tradition & much hyped about culture of our country is behind it's citizens who are prejudiced
as Harshita said, we all go through this phase...
ReplyDeleteand in some horrid cases, why the hell don't we know what we want to do...
now i wish God uncle, after putting us in our mom's stomachs would attach a letter telling us what we should do in our lives instead of us breaking our heads :'(